Red Potato and Spinach Frittata Recipe
In need of a hearty, healthy breakfast for the week? I bring you red potato and spinach frittata! It’s dense, filling, and delicious. It’s so good that it transcends breakfast- my boyfriend had his first slice at dinnertime! So, what is a frittata? Frittata is a lot like quiche. Both are breakfast dishes with eggs as their main ingredient; however, quiches are airy and fluffy while frittatas are dense. Also, quiches typically have crusts while frittatas don’t. Check out my crustless Spinach and Muenster Cheese Quiche if you’re in the mood for a fluffier breakfast item.
How to make Delicious red potato and spinach frittata?
I’m a huge fan of quiches and frittatas. The first reason is that I feel most energized and ready to take on the day when I eat a healthy breakfast packed with lean protein. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to eat heaping piles of pancakes or biscuits and gravy for breakfast, but I fall into a carb coma, where all I want to do is crawl back in bed and take a nap. (You’d think my bottomless cups of coffee in the morning would prevent this, but no). This frittata is packed with veggies and protein to get my day off to a good start and avoid the dreaded carb coma.
Another reason I like quiches and frittatas is because of how convenient they are. I make it on Sunday evening so that my boyfriend and I can have it for breakfast throughout the week. We simply warm up slices in the morning and chow down, which is quicker than making an omelet.
The final reason why I love them (that I almost forgot to mention) is that they’re vegetarian. You get lots of protein from the eggs, milk, and cheese which is why I rarely make quiches or frittatas with meat. Some people like them with meat, but I don’t find it necessary considering the ample protein the eggs and dairy provide.
I hope you love this frittata recipe as much as I do. Warning: if you sample a bite in the evening, you’ll want a full slice!
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 6 red potatoes, sliced
- 2 cups spinach, fresh
- 1/3 cup green onion, sliced
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Cook potatoes in a skillet while covered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender but firm. Stir in spinach, green onions, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes, or until spinach wilts.
- Pour egg mixture into the skillet on top of vegetables. Sprinkle cheese on top. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until egg firm, approximately 5 to 10 minutes. Serve warm.
Did you try this? Do let me in the comments know how your Red Potato and Spinach Frittata turn out?