Lemon Ginger Shrimp Skewers With Yum Yum Sauce
Recreate your favorite hibachi restaurant at home with these juicy, lemon ginger shrimp skewers dipped in refreshing, homemade yum yum sauce. The flavors are a divine contrast. While the shrimp are tangy, the yum yum sauce is cool and creamy. Every bite contains complex and contradicting flavors that will tantalize your taste buds.
For me going to a hibachi restaurant has always been a memorable event. Between their unique atmosphere and the quality of their food, I pretty much remember each and every time I’ve eaten hibachi. I even remember as a kid seeing the onion volcano for the first time and was utterly amazed and delighted. (I hope you know what I’m talking about!).
“Why I recommend this recipe?”
This shrimp skewer recipe brings the thrill and excitement of hibachi right to your home. While I don’t recommend you attempt knife tossing in your kitchen, I do recommend eating this recipe when you’re in the mood for something fun and refined. The yum yum sauce is so fresh, you’re going to want an entire bottle of it in your fridge at all times. The shrimp are so tangy and complex, you’ll be shocked by how much flavor something so small can contain.
Considering all the flavor and fun this dish has, you’d think it’d be difficult to make, but that’s not the case. In fact, it’s pretty simple. The only caveat being you have to plan ahead since the shrimp have to marinate overnight.
I actually like entrees that allow me to do most of the work ahead of time. The first reason is that I don’t have to cook much the next day when I’m hungry and ready to eat. The second reason is anticipation. I get to look forward to a great meal, because yes, I daydream about upcoming meals…Anyway, for this recipe, I like to make the yum yum sauce recipe the night before when I make the shrimp marinade. If you go this route, be sure to store the yum yum sauce in a tightly sealed jar or container in the refrigerator (and to not eat it all before you eat your shrimp skewers!).
Read Also: Easy Avocado Ranch Dip
Let’s start cooking.
- 1 & 1/2 lbs. medium (20 – 30 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails on
- kabob skewers
- 1 tsp. ginger, grated
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
Yum Yum Sauce
- 1/2 tbsp. butter, melted
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. & 1 tsp. milk
- 3/4 tsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- In a medium bowl, combine ginger, soy sauce, and lemon juice. Pour into a large ziplock bag along with shrimp. Marinate in refrigerator overnight.
- Whisk together butter, mayonnaise, milk, tomato paste, sugar, garlic powder, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Refrigerate in a sealed jar or container.
- Preheat oven to broiler setting. Lightly spray the baking sheet with cooking spray. Slide 3 to 4 shrimp onto each kabob skewer, piercing each shrimp twice, and lay onto a baking sheet.
- Once the oven is heated, broil shrimp on the baking sheet for 1 minute on the top rack. Remove from the oven. Flip each skewer. Broil another 1 to 2 minutes. Serve with yum yum sauce. Yields 4 servings.
I hope you have as much fun as I did making these Lemon Ginger Shrimp Skewers and transform your kitchen into your own hibachi place. As always leave me a comment with any questions or comments.