Heavenly Angel Food Cupcakes With Strawberry Topping
Angel food Cupcake is my boyfriend’s all-time favorite dessert. His mom made it every year for his birthday growing up- so precious! While I’ve always liked angel food cake, I’d never made it until recently. It’s more challenging to make than other cakes, and I didn’t want to put in the effort and it not turn out well. However, I’ve successfully learned how to make it and am so glad I did! It wasn’t as challenging as I thought it’d be, and now I get to share how to make it with you.
If you’ve never tasted homemade angel food cake (store-bought doesn’t do it justice), it’s a very special and delicious cake. It’s fluffy, light, and spongy. It’s insanely low-calorie (these cupcakes are only 90 calories a piece) and typically served with fruit. I like to eat mine with fresh strawberries and a dollop of a cool whip while my boyfriend prefers eating it plain.
“Why I choose angel food cupcakes”
So, why angel food cupcakes rather than angel food cake? Well, my boyfriend’s favorite part of angel food cake recipe is the sugary, crusty flakes that form around the cake pan and edges of each slice. In cupcake form, you get more of these heavenly crumbles- practically in every bite! Also, purchasing an angel food cake pan is a nuisance if you don’t have other uses for it. However, with angel food cupcakes you can use a regular muffin pan. (If you’re interested in making a traditional angel food cake, check out Angel Food Cake : Slice of Heaven.)
So, are you ready to make angel food cupcakes recipe?! I’m here to help you along the way.
- 1/2 cup & 2 tbsp. cake flour
- 3/4 cup & 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup egg whites
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- Lightly spray muffin pan with cooking spray. Yields 12 cupcakes.
- Sift together cake flour, sugar, and salt. Repeat 5 times. (Dry ingredients must be very powdery, so do not skimp on this step).
- Beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks.*
- With a spatula, gently combine vanilla and almond extracts with egg whites. With a spatula, gradually and gently fold in the dry mixture.
- Scoop batter into muffin pans and place in a cool oven. Set oven for 325° and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tops are golden brown. Do NOT preheat the oven. Do not open oven for the first 15 minutes of baking otherwise, cupcakes might collapse.
- Let cupcakes fully cool before removing from pan. Serve with strawberries (optional).
*Dunk the attachment directly into the batter and lift. Eggs whites should stick to the attachment in the shape of a peak. To do so, beat for two minutes and then check every 20 seconds. If egg whites are lumpy, you’ve over-beaten them, but don’t feel bad. I did the same thing on my first try! If the egg whites are sticking to the attachment but runny, you need to keep beating them.
Are you going to try it? Do you go with some other topping options? Comment below.